If you plan on adding a hot tub or a swim spa to your home, one of the first things to consider is the space you have. Is there enough room for the spa as well as the surrounding area so that it’s safe to use? Below, we’ll talk about how much space is needed for a hot tub or a swim spa and what you can do to ensure you’re choosing the best spot. Here’s what you should know!
How Spacious Should Your Backyard Be for a Spa?
The amount of space you need will mainly depend on how big your hot tub or swim spa would be. It’s important to know the exact measurements of your shortlisted options because it will give you a good idea of whether or not they would fit your space. There are different sizes available, but most hot tubs usually measure around 7 by 7 feet to 8 by 8 feet. Swim spas are typically bigger, and the average size falls around 8 feet wide and 12 to 21 feet long. When you’re in the market for a backyard oasis, make sure to take note of the exact measurements of the models you’re interested in. Then, get the total measurements of your space so you can decide if the hot tub or swim spa you’re considering would fit comfortably in your backyard. It’s also a good idea to talk to a spa dealer near you so you can learn more about the different sizes available for hot tubs and swim spas.
As you may have guessed, having enough space around your hot tub or swim spa is necessary. It allows you to easily access your spa for any maintenance work that needs to be done. Of course, having an area to lounge in when you’re not soaking is always nice, too. Another important reason to consider space is safety. You want to make sure there’s enough room for you and your guests to enter and exit the spa without any risk of injury.
The general rule of thumb for the surrounding space of a hot tub is that there should be at least 2.5 feet of space around all sides and the back panels. For swim spas, the ideal space should be about 3 feet on all sides. The exact numbers may vary depending on the other landscaping elements in your backyard.
The Best Tips for Choosing Where to Put Your Spa
After you’ve measured your space for your hot tub or swim spa, it’s time to think about where to put it. Here are some helpful tips to make sure you’re choosing the best spot for your backyard oasis:
- Make sure the chosen area is level and solid. You don’t want your hot tub or swim spa to be uneven, as it can create safety issues and cause structural damage to the spa. You should also install a stable foundation to place the hot tub. This can be a concrete slab, patio pavers, or even a wooden deck.
- Provide space for plumbing and drainage. This will allow you to install the hot tub with proper connections, such as a gas line if necessary.
- Check for any possible obstructions nearby. Make sure there are no trees or other landscaping elements that could block your view or make it difficult to enter and exit the spa.
- Pick an area that’s close to an electrical outlet. This way, you won’t have to worry about running an extension cord when you’re plugging in your spa.
- Keep privacy in mind. If you want to enjoy your hot tub in peace, make sure the area is not in plain view of your neighbors or any passersby. For added privacy, you can also take advantage of landscaping elements like tall plants and trees to create a natural barrier.
Choosing the right spot for your hot tub or swim spa is an important step in making your dream backyard retreat a reality. Take the time to measure and check the space you have available, and be sure to factor in all the tips provided above. That way, you can be sure you’re making the best decision for your space and enjoying your hot tub or swim spa for years to come!
You can also download our free buyer’s guide for help selecting a spa that perfectly fits your preferences and needs.