Keeping your hot tub water clean and safe for use is one of the most important parts of ownership. Of course, this means regularly draining and refilling your spa. But how often should you be doing this? Below, we’ll provide you with what you need to know about how often you should change the water in your hot tub and why it’s necessary to do so.
The Importance of Draining and Refilling Your Hot Tub
Changing the water in your hot tub is an essential part of owning one. Just like with any other body of water, hot tubs can become contaminated with bacteria and other microorganisms over time. These can cause infections or skin irritation, so keeping the water clean is important.
Draining and refilling the water also prevents the build-up of chemicals and minerals in the water. Leaks, corrosion, and other problems can all be caused by water that’s been in the hot tub for too long without being changed. You can reach out to your local hot tub dealer for more information about making your hot tub last longer.
Finally, draining and refilling the water allows you to inspect the hot tub for any possible issues, as spotting a problem early on and getting it fixed can save you time and money.
When to Drain and Refill Your Hot Tub
The frequency with which you need to change the water in your hot tub depends on a few factors, including how often you use it, how many people use it, and how big it is. In most cases, a good rule of thumb is to change the hot tub water every three to four months.
If you use your hot tub regularly, you may need to change the water more often. In cases like this, it’s best to change the water every two months or so. Of course, if you notice that the water is starting to look cloudy or has a smell to it, you should change it as soon as possible. Don’t wait for your regularly scheduled water change to do this! It’s also essential to test the chemical balance with a testing kit or testing strips, so you would know the state of the water even if there are no visible signs of contamination.
Easy Steps for Changing Hot Tub Water
Now that we’ve gone over the reasons why you need to change your hot tub water and how often you should be doing it, let’s talk about the process itself. Here are some easy steps for draining and refilling your hot tub:
- Use the hose to drain the water currently in your hot tub.
- Clean the inside of the hot tub with mild soap and a soft rag, making sure to remove any dirt or debris that may have accumulated. Scrub any areas that look stained and rinse the tub thoroughly with clean water to remove any soap residue.
- Once the tub is clean, it’s time to fill it back up. Connect a hose to a water source and turn on the water. Fill the hot tub until it reaches the ideal level.
- Add chemicals or treatment to maintain proper water balance. The pH levels should be between 7.2 and 7.6. Keep in mind that the water will need to circulate for a few minutes before you use the hot tub so that the chemicals can properly disperse.
- Start running the hot tub to allow the water to circulate and reach the ideal temperature. Wait for a few minutes before getting in to ensure the water is in its best state.
Hot tubs are a great way to relax and de-stress after a long day. But like anything else, they need proper maintenance to function at their best. Draining and refilling the hot tub water is one of the most important things you can do to keep it clean and healthy. By following the recommended hot tub water replacement schedule, you can ensure that your spa stays in top condition for many years to come.
Download our free buyer’s guide for help choosing the ideal hot tub for your home!